Meyer Boswell Books, Inc.
A searchable bookshop, specializing in antiquarian law books
Meyer Boswell Books - Book Detail Page
- Gonson, John
- The Charge of Sir John Gonson, Kt. to the Grand Jury of the City and Liberty of Westminster, &c. At the General Quarter Sessions of the Peace, Held the Twenty fourth Day of April 1728 in Westminster Hall [etc.]. ESTC N27645
- Printed and Sold by Joseph Downing . . . near West Smithfield, London, 1728.
- First edition of the first grand jury charge of Gonson, the Inner Temple barrister and "zealous prosecutor" depicted by Hogarth (twice) in "A Harlot's Progress", in satiric poetry, and--for his evangelical fervour -- by Pope in his "An Essay on Man"
- Modern 1/4 calf over marbled boards, crimson morocco label gilt ruled and lettered, very clean and bright; the Taussig copy
- Book No.:
- $ 650.00
- Grand Jury Charges, justices of peace, Poetry, Law and Literature, humor
How to Order BooksIf your browser supports and is set to accept cookies, you can click the 'Add to Order' button next to the selection you would like to order. The system will show you all the books in your shopping cart. If you wish to order additional books from this page, you may use the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page from the Shopping Cart page.
If your browser does not support cookies or you choose not to accept them, you may use our previous non-cookie ordering system.
Alternately, you may order by sending an e-mail note, or by contacting us directly by phone or FAX.
If you do send a FAX, please make sure to include your full shipping address, a credit card number and expiration date, and the "Order No" of the volumes you would like. Also, please make sure to leave a phone number so that we can contact you in the event we encounter any problems filling your order.