Meyer Boswell Books, Inc.
A searchable bookshop, specializing in antiquarian law books
Meyer Boswell Books - Book Detail Page
- Fielding, Henry
- A True State of the Case of Bosavern Penlez, Who suffered on Account of the late Riot in the Strand. In Which The Law regarding these Offences, and the Statute of George the First, commonly called the Riot Act, are fully considered
- Printed for A. Millar, opposite Katherine-street in the Strand, London, 1749.
- First edition of Fielding's controversial work, arguing that the unfortunate Penlez, probably drunk, was rightfully hanged following his theft of linen from a brothel, itself ransacked by irate sailors; with the press marks confirming a first edition
- Modern 3/4 calf over marbled boards, marbled endpapers and pastedowns, "Grange Hill" in gilt on the front board, gilt edges, pretty; the Taussig copy
- Book No.:
- $ 850.00
- 19TH CENTURY, Acts, ancient law, Bench and Bar, biography, criminal law, education, legal ephemera, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, law and prostitution, roman law, Supreme Court, trials, women's law
How to Order BooksIf your browser supports and is set to accept cookies, you can click the 'Add to Order' button next to the selection you would like to order. The system will show you all the books in your shopping cart. If you wish to order additional books from this page, you may use the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page from the Shopping Cart page.
If your browser does not support cookies or you choose not to accept them, you may use our previous non-cookie ordering system.
Alternately, you may order by sending an e-mail note, or by contacting us directly by phone or FAX.
If you do send a FAX, please make sure to include your full shipping address, a credit card number and expiration date, and the "Order No" of the volumes you would like. Also, please make sure to leave a phone number so that we can contact you in the event we encounter any problems filling your order.