Meyer Boswell Books, Inc.
A searchable bookshop,
specializing in antiquarian law books
Meyer Boswell Books Search Results Page
Database last updated on Thu Jan 13 12:21:12 2022
Matching records found:
freedom of press
Searching prices :
$Any to $Any
Searching books added :
At Any Date
- Hayter, Thomas
- An Essay on the Liberty of the Press, Chiefly as it Respects Personal Slander. The Second Edition. Not in McCoy
- Printed for J. Raymond, London, 1755.
- A work "original and startingly libertarian", proposing that freedom of speech (and press) are fundamental aspects of man's capacities and thus reserved natural and constitutional rights predating civilization's social compact
- Modern 1/4 calf over marbled boards, gilt, a very clean crisp copy; without the half-title
- Book No.:
- $ 550.00
- 18TH CENTURY, criminal law, freedom of press, libel and slander
- Plowden, Francis
- The English Liberty of the Press, Exemplified in Some Practices of the Hucksters in the Journal Mart, During the Month of December, 1824
- Printed for the Author, and Sold by Amyot, rue de la Paix, Paris, 1825.
- The last work of Plowden, the Middle Temple barrister and Roman Catholic, deploring the alleged anti-Catholic bias of France's sole English language journal against the "proscribed, and persecuted victims of [England's] sanguinary code of laws"
- Original printed ?self-wraps, disbound, some mainly marginal staining, presentation copy ("From the Author"), a good copy, 26 pages; two copies in COPAC
- Book No.:
- $ 350.00
- freedom of press
- Heath, Robert
- A Machavillian Plot, or, A Caution for England, Presented In a time when Princes were so Pious, and Iudged durst bee Valiant to declare against Vnhonest Slaverie. Quarto. Wing H1339
- London. Printed Anno Dom. 1642, London, 1642.
- Only edition of the sole work published during the lifetime of Heath, Chief Justice of King's Bench who "stood among the ablest crown officials of the early Stuart period", suggesting over two dozen ways of controlling dissent and increasing taxes
- Modern gray boards, the spine with a printed paper label, light browning, else well preserved with good margins; the Taussig copy
- Book No.:
- $ 650.00
- Parliament, taxation, freedom of press
How to Order BooksIf your browser supports and is set to accept cookies, you can click the 'Add to Order' button next to the selection you would like to order. The system will show you all the books in your shopping cart. If you wish to order additional books from this page, you may use the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page from the Shopping Cart page.
If your browser does not support cookies or you choose not to accept them, you may use our previous non-cookie ordering system.
Alternately, you may order by sending an e-mail note, or by contacting us directly by phone or FAX.
If you do send a FAX, please make sure to include your full shipping address, a credit card number and expiration date, and the "Order No" of the volumes you would like. Also, please make sure to leave a phone number so that we can contact you in the event we encounter any problems filling your order.