Meyer Boswell Books, Inc.
A searchable bookshop,
specializing in antiquarian law books
Meyer Boswell Books Search Results Page
Database last updated on Thu Jan 13 12:21:12 2022
Matching records found:
Searching prices :
$Any to $Any
Searching books added :
At Any Date
- Bridgman, Richard Whalley
- The Law of Charitable Uses, As Laid Down and Digested by George Duke, Esq. in 1676, Together with the Learned Readings of Sir Francis Moore . . . Particularly Adapted to the Use of Every Professor of the Law, As Well As All Bishops, Cathedrals [etc.]
- Printed for W. Clarke and Sons, Portugal-street, Lincoln's Inn, London, 1805.
- Only edition of Bridgman's treatise, building on two pioneering glosses of the seminal Elizabethan statute on charities, with particular attention to the Mortmain Act of 1736, which fundamentally affected charitable gifts of land for over a century
- Modern 1/4 calf over marbled boards, ex-Inner Temple Library with its internal stamps, else a good clean copy
- Book No.:
- $ 450.00
- Herne, John
- The Law of Charitable Uses. Wherein the Statute of 43. Eliz. Chap. 4 is set forth and Explained; with Directions how to Sue out and prosecute Commissions grounded upon that Statute: Also Presidents, Inquisitions, and Decrees . . . upon the said Statute
- Printed by T.R. for Timothy Twyford [etc.], London, 1660.
- First edition of the first treatise on English charitable law, examining the pioneering late Elizabethan statute creating poor law's legal framework for centuries, with its preamble "to have the greatest influence on the English law of charity"
- Contemporary sheep, quite rubbed, the top of the spine just chipped, manuscript notes on the first blank, clean and sound, the Taussig copy; Wing H1568
- Book No.:
- $ 1250.00
- charities, poor law
How to Order BooksIf your browser supports and is set to accept cookies, you can click the 'Add to Order' button next to the selection you would like to order. The system will show you all the books in your shopping cart. If you wish to order additional books from this page, you may use the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page from the Shopping Cart page.
If your browser does not support cookies or you choose not to accept them, you may use our previous non-cookie ordering system.
Alternately, you may order by sending an e-mail note, or by contacting us directly by phone or FAX.
If you do send a FAX, please make sure to include your full shipping address, a credit card number and expiration date, and the "Order No" of the volumes you would like. Also, please make sure to leave a phone number so that we can contact you in the event we encounter any problems filling your order.