Meyer Boswell Books, Inc.
A searchable bookshop,
specializing in antiquarian law books
Meyer Boswell Books Search Results Page
Database last updated on Sun Mar 15 17:51:13 2020
Matching records found:
Searching prices :
$Any to $Any
Searching books added :
At Any Date
- An Ordinance For Adjourning part of Easter Term. 1654. Whereas many abuses and corruptions are crept into the ordinary course and administration of Justice, both in Law and Equity . . . Saturday April 8, 1654 [etc.]. Wing C7127; Steele I, 3031
- Printed by William du-Gard, and Henry Hills [etc.], London, 1654.
- The ordinance launching Cromwell's effort to reform the courts, "one of the two innovative accomplishments of the protectorate", leading to the 1654 Chancery Ordinance (drafted by William Sheppard), reforms not fully realized until the 19th century
- Broadside measuring about 8x14 inches, left margin partly trimmed (no text affected), the imprint faint, light browning, sound; the Taussig copy
- Book No.:
- $ 1250.00
- courts, legal reform, English Commonwealth, Broadside
- The Declaration of William and Mary, King and Queen of England, France and Ireland, To all Their Loving Subjects in the Kingdom of IRELAND . . . Given at Our Court at Whitehall this 22th Day of February, 1688  [etc.]. Wing W2507 [three copies in ESTC]
- Printed by Charles Bill and Thomas Newcomb [etc.], Lodnon [sic], 1689.
- William's immediate, unsuccessful effort to defuse the Irish rebellion as James arrived from France, followed by the siege of Londonderry, the battle of the Boyne, and the Articles of Limerick, "show[ing] how precarious was the Revolution settlement"
- Broadside measuring about 12x14 inches, lightly browned, several folds, the margins cut close (legibility preserved), quite sound; the Taussig copy
- Book No.:
- $ 1500.00
- IRELAND, Glorious Revolution, legal ephemera, Broadside
- To the Kings most Excellent Majesty, and the Lords and Peeres now assembled in Parliament. The Humble Petition and Protestation of all the Bishops and Prelates now called by His Majesties Writts to attend the Parliament [etc.]. Not in Wing; ESTC R226217
- Printed for Joseph Hunscutt, London, 1642.
- The rare broadside whose contents formed the basis of high treason charges brought against the bishops for "subvert[ing] the fundamental laws of the kingdom", thereby contributing in part to the outbreak of England's civil war; one copy in ESTC
- Broadside measuring about 9 1/2 x 13 inches, lightly browned, some chips and tears, top left margin trimmed, but legibility preserved; the Taussig copy
- Book No.:
- $ 850.00
- Broadside, legal ephemera, Ecclesiastical Law, Parliament, English constitutional law, criminal law
- By the King. A Proclamation commanding the due execution of the Lawes made against Eating and Selling of Flesh in Lent, and other times prohibited. S.T.C. 8984; Steele 1, 642; Lincoln's Inn Catalogue of Pamphlets 1506-1700 234
- Imprinted at London by Robert Barker [etc.], London, 1632.
- The proclamation "polic[ing] with some vigour" those who ate or sold flesh in Lent, restoring a religious element to the prohibitions first enacted in 1548, with the situation in England "exceptional within the Protestant world" and much debated
- Two broadsides, each measuring about 12x15 inches, light browning, one horizontal fold, well preserved in a modern buckram folder; the Taussig copy
- Book No.:
- $ 750.00
- Broadside, legal ephemera, Religion
How to Order BooksIf your browser supports and is set to accept cookies, you can click the 'Add to Order' button next to the selection you would like to order. The system will show you all the books in your shopping cart. If you wish to order additional books from this page, you may use the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page from the Shopping Cart page.
If your browser does not support cookies or you choose not to accept them, you may use our previous non-cookie ordering system.
Alternately, you may order by sending an e-mail note, or by contacting us directly by phone or FAX.
If you do send a FAX, please make sure to include your full shipping address, a credit card number and expiration date, and the "Order No" of the volumes you would like. Also, please make sure to leave a phone number so that we can contact you in the event we encounter any problems filling your order.